Terrace and House names

INTRODUCTION

Before 1953, when the present numbers were allocated, most houses were grouped into terraces, each with its own name. Some retain plaques even today which record these, but most are lost or did not originally exist. Names in the censuses are not consistent, so this section aims to say something of the history of the roads, arranged alphabetically, and those houses on them built before the First World War. We will be pleased to add any information which can be supplied.

BIRLING ROAD

The ancient road to Birling and the only road south before Malling Road was built in 1825. The oldest houses are those on the west side at the north end. This was formerly Pond Field and a builder from Chatham, John Roots, began building houses in 1853. Unfortunately he went bankrupt and the work was continued by John Tomlin of Wrotham. Rookery farm with two associated cottages were in Birling parish. Houses in ‘The Groves’ were built at the turn of the 1900s. Grove farm was assigned to Snodland in 1693

Three shops (at the Constitutional Hill end); all now demolished
Nos. 1-14 Tomlin’s Cottages ran west from Birling road; all now demolished
Nos. 8-80 Birling Road (even nos.) all extant
Four more properties continued the sequence, but these are much altered

Rookery Farm; demolished c.1962
1-2 Rookery Cottages
The Cottage

By 1911; built around 1900:
1-2 The Groves
Ingleside
Hasel Villa
3 houses, Birling Road
Merebrook
Cottage Home

Groves Farm; demolished 1950s

BRAMLEY ROAD

Built in the 1890s and early 1900s and originally included what is now called Recreation Avenue.

South side (from Malling Road end; uneven nos.)

Original Nos. 1-11 are now 3-21 + 23a
Original Nos. 1-10 Bramley Villas are now 23-43
Original Nos. 1-8 Parkstone Villas are now nos. 45-59
No. 61 Bramley Road [part of same build as 45-59]

North side (from Malling Road end; even nos.)

Nos. 2-16
Nos. 1-5 Ivy Cottages are now nos. 18-26
Nos. 1-5 Collingwood Villas are now nos. 28-36
Nos. 38-42
Nos. 1-8 Medina Terrace are now nos. 44-58
No, 60 [now rebuilt from shop which was part of original terrace]

RECREATION AVENUE (west side; even nos.)

No. 2 (former shop)
Nos. 4-14 [6 now demolished]
Nos. 16-26 = Victoria Terrace
Nos. 28-30 = Mizpah Cottages
No. 32 = Carlisle Cottage

BROOK STREET

An ancient road leading from the High Street to the common land known as ‘The Brook’. Virtually nothing of it remains now because it was destroyed by the by-pass.

East side (from High Street end)

Cambridge Villa
Built by 1861; demolished c.1980; builder unknown; owned by Hook family
Pear Tree Cottage
Built by 1861; demolished c.1980; builder unknown; owned by Hook family
Sweetbriar Cottage
Earliest known reference: 1653; demolished 1930
National Schools, formerly a house
Earliest known reference: 1653; demolished c.1974
17 Brook Street [formerly ‘Stalfords’]
Earliest known reference: 1531; demolished c.1980
1-4 Brook Gate: built by 1867; demolished c.1940; builder Joseph Privett
=14-17 Brook Street
1-4 Willow Walk Cottages [or Brook Cottages, or Brookside]
Earliest known reference: 1871

West side (from High Street end)

Curtis House
2 Brook Street; demolished
1-4 The Causeway [4,6,8,10 Brook Street]
Built c. 1881-2; demolished c.1980
Brooklyn House, 12 Brook Street
Built by 1861; demolished c.1980; builder: Joseph Privett?
14-30 (even nos.) Brook Street
Built by 1867; builder Joseph Privett
ALMA PLACE : Nos. 1-8, was a group on the left side of Catts Alley, leading west off Brook Street.
Built soon after 1868 and demolished c.1980; builder unknown
No. 9 was the house of the gardener of Ivymeath and was called Canary Cottage
Two dwellings belonging to Dean and Chapter of Rochester (17th century)
Demolished
1-3 Wray’s Cottages
Old, earliest known reference 18th century; demolished by 1930s

BULL FIELDS

Was part of a development of houses built in the 1870s comprising Chapel Road, Portland Place and Bull Fields.

Nos. 15-16 Chapel Road [Bottom Row] are now nos. 2 and 4 Bull Fields (west side)

CHAPEL ROAD [BOTTOM ROW/BULL FIELDS]

The houses are on the north side (even nos,).

Nos. 1-8 completed by 1881 are now nos. 2-16
Nos. 9-14 completed by 1891 are now nos. 18-28

PORTLAND PLACE

North side (even nos,)

1-4 Mayatt’s Cottages are now nos. 2,4,6,8 Portland Place
1-2 Mole’s Cottages [also Vine Cottages] are now nos. 10-12
1-2 Martin’s Cottages are now nos. 14-16
1-6 Moore’s Cottages are now nos. 18-28

South side

Nos. 1-14 Portland Place are now nos. 1-27 (uneven nos.)

CHURCH FIELDS

A public footpath ran from All Saints to Holborough from time immemorial, but the road dates from the 1860s.

East side (even nos.)

1-5 Church Villas are now 6-14; built by Edward Norman by 1891
1-5 Roman Villas are now 16-24; built by 1891
Fairview is now no. 26
Sunnyside is now no. 28; built by 1897 by Joshua Wilford
Riverdale is now no. 30; built by 1895 for (and by?) John Mason
1-2 Riverside; built by 1881; demolished after bomb in 1942

West side

Nos. 1-5 Medway Place/Church Fields are now nos. 1,3,5,7,9; built by 1881

CONSTITUTION HILL

The road is part of that running from Paddlesworth and the west to the river crossing at Snodland. The houses on it date from 1853 to the early 1900s.

North side (from East end; even nos.)

1-3 Clara Place are now nos. 28-32
The Papermakers Arms is no. 34
1-4 Temperance Terrace are now nos. 36-42
1-4 Kemp’s Cottages are now nos. 44-50
Vinery is no. 52
54-60
1-2 Addison Villas are now nos. 62 and 64

South side (from East end); all now demolished

Baker’s shop
1-4 Pierson’s Cottages [also 1-4 Constitution Hill]
1-6 Luckford’s Cottages [also 5-10 Constitution Hill]
4-1 Victoria Terrace [

EAST STREET; old houses, all demolished

This replaced a footpath running from Brook Street to the Paper Mill and dates from the late 1860s following the sale of land attached to the National School in Brook Street.
South side

1-14: 7 built 1868 by Joseph Privett; 6 built by Burgess and Langridge (nos. 4-28)
Paper Bag Factory (building survives)

North side

1-2 May Villa (also Millbrook House, and Brook Villas); built by June 1868
1-2 Vine Cottages became nos. 1 and 3 East Street; built by 1871
1-3 Garden Cottages became nos. 5,7 and 9 East Street; built by 1881

HIGH STREET; north side from east end; modern nos. from west end
The principal ancient road in the parish running west-east to the river and parish church.

Railway Station (opened 1856)
Railway gatehouse (opened 1856); demolished
Queen’s Head Hotel (opened 1856) (now nos. 91-93)
Veles laundry and stables (now no. 89)
[Formerly 8 houses here; replaced by nos. 89-93]
Delamere House; built 1867; demolished after WWII (bomb damaged)
[Formerly two houses]
Baker’s shop, no. 79; built by 1867; demolished c.1980
Victory pub no. 77; built by 1867; demolished c.1980
Grocer/butcher no. 75; built by 1867; demolished c.1980
[Formerly 1-4 Bateman’s Row, behind no. 75]
[Formerly 1-3 Deacon’s Cottages, in lane behind no. 75; demolished]
1-3 Mulberry Cottage/Old Cottage (now a single house)
15th cent.? reconstructed 1932
[Formerly two farm cottages; demolished in 19th cent.]
1-4 Gorham’s Row [=former nos. 61-67]; demolished
1-8 Hope Terrace (built c.1861 for Thomas W. Peters) are now nos. 45-59
Anchor Place, no. 43 (built 1861 for Thomas W. Peters)
1-2 Villa (nos. 39 and 41); built c.1900
Auburn (no. 37) [former surgery]; built c.1900 for Thomas Gash
Lyndale House (no. 35); ‘Homeleigh’ by 1901; built by 1891
Trefoy House (no. 33); ‘Copthorne’ by 1901; built by 1891
Hope Villa (no. 31); ‘Elsefield’ by 1901; built by 1891 for George L. Graham
Congregational Church (built 1888 by Joshua Wilford)
1-3 Norman Cottages (nos. 25,27,29); built by 1891 by Edward Norman
Deengaar (no. 23); built by 1891 by Edward Norman
[Bank House, built 1908; now part of former bank building]
Nephalite Villa; built by 1871; demolished
Central Stores/World Stores; old (pre 18th cent.); demolished
The Lodge, built 1841 [now a care home]
[Former Bennet’s Place, converted to 5 houses; demolished]
15th cent.
The Monk’s Head

HIGH STREET South side; numbered from west end

Ferry House; built between 1841-4 for Edward Baker
1-8 Church Terrace; built c.1881; demolished
1-3 Church Place (shops); built c.1881; demolished
[These replaced Court Lodge, destroyed by fire, 1881]
1-5 Railway Terrace; built by 1891; demolished
1-5 Railway Place; built for William Kingsnorth by 1861
Green Meadow Villa; demolished in 1930s
1 May Place is now no. 122; built by 1869
2 May Place/Nyanza House is now 120; built by 1869
114, 116, 118 High Street [formerly shops]; built after 1867
Veles
Earliest known reference 1613; made into large house by Hook family after
1854; demolished c.1930 and replaced by terrace (also now demolished)
Red Lion
Earliest known reference 1738, but house on the site in 15th cent.; demolished
2015
90-94 were formerly shops, built by 1887
6 houses built c.1822-9, of which only 88 and 88A survive
Grapevine Villas are 74, 76, 78, built 1878 on site of two earlier houses
Waterworks office; demolished
Four shops/houses all demolished
Two houses; demolished
New Jerusalem Church; built 1882
Ivymeath and gardener’s house; built after 1877
Rectory (built 1804; demolished 1970)
Post Office (built 1909)
44 High Street = Durham House, built c.1891
32-42 High Street: shops, built c.1891
[Toll gatehouse: built 1825; demolished 1878]
1-13 High Street: shops
= no. 30 High Street = Wymondham House

HOLBOROUGH ROAD

The ancient road running south-north towards Holborough and Rochester

East side, numbered from south (even nos.)

Grocer’s shop with house behind; demolished
12 Holborough Road, formerly an ironmongers’ shop
1-2 Moore’s cottages; old; (demolished)
Bricklayers arms pub; built by 1861; demolished
Nos. 14-24 (even nos.): shops ‘The Broadway’
Cinema, then Catholic Church; built 1912; demolished
Nos. 30-44: Beaconsfield Terrace; built c.1902 by Joshua Wilford
Shop
Rochester Co-operative Shop [now Working Men’s Club]; built 1906
72, 74: Prospect House (mediaeval, modified 17th cent.; rebuilt
[formerly had a butcher’s shop attached]
1-10 Prospect Place are now nos. 78-96; built by 1871
1-6 Covey Hall Place are now nos. 98-108; built by 1891
1-12 Lee’s or Victoria Cottages; built by 1871; demolished

West side, uneven nos.

The Bull; old, re-built 1878
3 Holborough Road (butcher’s shop, by 1903)
5,7
9
13-23 (uneven nos.) Hadleigh Villas
25-27 Covey Hall Farmhouse
The Institute (built 1877); demolished
Built by Burgess and Langridge to plan by Henry Raven
1-7 Dover Terrace are now nos. 47-59; built by 1881
1-2 Vine Cottages are now nos. 61-, 63, 63a; built by 1871
Belle Vue Villa; built by James Brown by 1855; demolished
[former fruiterer’s house here]
83 (?Lana House/May Cottage/Covey Hall Cottage); built  by 1871
85? Schoolmaster’s house; built by 1871
Windmill (until 1839)
Independent Chapel (1855-1888; then part of school)
British Schools (1855-1930; then various commercial)
1-12 Providence Place are now nos. 91-113; built by 1871
Prospect House/Bryncree = no. 115; built by 1867
1-5 Jessamine Cottages are now nos. 117-125; built by 1863
6-8 Jessamine Cottages are now nos. 127-131; built by 1871
1-5 Providence Terrace are now nos. 133-141; built by 1871
1-2 Vine Cottage are now nos. 143-145; built by 1881
1-4 Magnolia Terrace are now nos. 147-153; built by 1871
Prospect Cottage/Vine Cottage, no. 155; built by 1871 demolished
Alma Villa = no. 157; built by 1861
1-3 Medway Vue/Wells Cottages; built by 1871; demolished
1-9 Mount Pleasant are now nos. 163-179; built by 1881
1-2 Rose Cottage; built by 1871
1-8 Holborough Terrace are now 191-205; built by 1881
Grocer/Draper and Butcher shops; built by 1891; demolished
1-4 Prince’s Terrace; built by 1881; demolished
Prince of Wales pub; demolished; built by 1881
Nightingale cottages; demolished; old
3 houses; demolished; built by John Goodhugh before 1831

HOLBOROUGH

An ancient hamlet with a stream of water which flows from local springs into the Medway. Most of the houses were demolished by 1900 and information here is taken from the Tithe map. Two groups of later houses were for workers in the cement industry, but these too have gone.

East and north side of the main road, numbered from north end

Tithe 142: Court cottage (extant)
Tithe 144: House and beer shop
Tithe 145a: blacksmith’s
Tithe 146-7: one property, two houses
Tithe 149: carpenter
Tithe 150: carpenter’s shop
Tithe 151-2: grocer’s shop
Tithe 153: blacksmith’s forge
Tithe 156: now ‘Mill Stream Cottage’ (was ‘The Cock’/Gilder’s farm’) (extant)
Tithe 157: blacksmith
Tithe 158: grocer’s shop
Tithe 159: house (grouped with 158)

West and south side of the main road, numbered from north end

Holloway (later ‘Holborough’) Court; the principal residence
Nashenden farm
Water and flour mill (extant)
Island Cottage (extant)
Thatched cottage; demolished c.1870
Furniture shop (previously an oast house)

Later housing on north side (built 1870s)

1-4 Walgrave Place (also Hayman’s Cottages)
1-7 Dorking Place (also Lee’s Row)
1-14 Orchard Cottages

MALLING ROAD

Built 1825 as a toll road running direct from the Bull corner to Ham Hill; the tolls were abolished in 1878 and houses were then built along the road.

East side (uneven numbering from north end)

1-15 shops; built  by 1891
17-43; built by 1891
45; ‘Delhi’; demolished; built by 1891
1-12 Cox’s Cottages are now nos. 49-71; built by 1891
1-4 Rose Villas are now nos. 73-79; built by 1901
1-6 Wells Terrace are now 81-91; built 1887
Eva Cottage is now no. 91
95, 97; built by 1901
99, 101 are Lucknow Cottages; built by 1901
103; built by 1901
105, 107 are Ebenezer Villas; built by 1901
109 is Tudor House; built by 1901
111 is Shop; built by 1901
1-8 Woodland Terrace are now nos. 113-127; land bought 1885-6
1-2 Portslade Villas are now nos. 129, 131
Duley House is 133
1-2 Oldbury Villas are 135, 137
1-8 Raymead Villas are 139-153
1-6 Sillwood Place are 155-161 with 163, 165 demolished (bombed)
Maida Vale; demolished (bombed)
The Manse; demolished
Two un-named; demolished
Pleasant View; demolished
Woodside
Gatemere Cottage
1 un-named
Woodcroft = 189
Woodbank; demolished

MALLING ROAD (west side; even nos.)

1-8 are now nos. 8-26; land acquired 1876; built by Moore?
24-54 Malling Road; built by 1881
Brook House = 56; demolished
60-66 = shops
68 former shop (Baldock’s)
70-72
74-78; built by 1901 by Joshua Wilford
Albion Place = 80-86; built by 1901 by Joshua Wilford
Rose Cottage = 88-92; built by 1901
1-4 Hollick’s Cottages (in Recreation ground) = 94-100; built c.1897
Stanley Terrace = 102-120; built c.1887
1-4 Gerda Villas = 122-128
1-2 Myrtle Villas = 132-134; built 1892
1-6 Penrhyn Terrace = 136-146
148
Headcorn Villa = 150
The Cedars = 152, 154
Albion Villas = 156-162
Linden Villas = 164-168
Devonia = 172
Edina = 174
Kirtonia = 176
Roker Villas = 178,180
Claremont = 182
Belmont = 184
2 houses = 186,188
Hazlewood = 190
Ty Newydd = 192
Shambles = 194
Avoca = 196
Bowness = 198
Delhi = 200
St Katherine’s = 216

MAY STREET

Begun c. 1867 after the school field was sold.
East side (uneven nos.)

1-3 May Cottages are now 1,3,5 May Street; built c.1867-71
1-3 Gladstone Place are now 7,9,11 May Street; built c.1867-71
1-3 Portland Place are now 13,15,17 May Street; built c.1867-71
1-2 Springvale Place are now 19,21 May Street; built c.1871
Mona/Mons Cottage is now 23 May Street; built c.1871
1-3 Faith Place are now 25,27,29 May Street; built 1871
1-3 Western Cottages; formerly 31,33,35; built c.1871; demolished by 1980
Former 37,39,41,43; built c.1881; demolished by 1980
Former 45,47: Temperance Hotel; built 1881; demolished by 1980
Former 49,51,53,55; demolished by 1980

West side (even nos,)
Carisbrooke House; built by 1874
1-18 Long Row are now 24-58; built by 1881

MILL STREET (all gone)
East Side
Court Lodge [mediaeval]; destroyed by fire 1881
Old Chapel House [was two old dwellings]; demolished 1906
Wheatsheaf: built 1868; demolished 1906
Wharf Row (7 houses); built by 1895; demolished c.1870
West Side
16 houses; built by 1861 for William Kingsnorth; demolished 1906 and c.1995

QUEENS AVENUE

North/east side (uneven nos.)

1-8 Alexandra Terrace = 1-15; built 1901 by Joshua Wilford
19 = former Public Baths; built by Joshua Wilford
21-27 = former builder entrance and two houses; built by Joshua Wilford
1-5 Osborne Villas =  33-41; built by Joshua Wilford

South/west side (even nos.)

1-6 Queen’s Avenue = 2-12
1-2 Langford Cottages = 14, 16
Cranfield Villa = 18; built 1903 by Joshua Wilford
Doris Cottage = 22

QUEENS ROAD

North side  (even nos.)

2-18
1-23
The Cosy?

WAGHORN ROAD

East Side (even nos.)

Devonshire Rooms
Hook Almshouses
Drummond Almshouses
16-30; last is ‘Pretoria’

West side (uneven nos.)

[Former house]
Un-numbered house
3-7 = 5-19
21 = former 17
Mariner’s Villa = 23
Claremont = 25
Glencot = 27
Dene Villa = 29
Clifton Villa = 31
2 houses = 33,35